Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Art of Burgers

A good burger is one of the greatest things in the world. Which is why we went to Helvti Diner last week, as they promise exactly that. I was gratified to see that they even asked me how I wanted my burger (raw!), and offered a series of sauces to go with it. There were the mandatory fries as a side. A side you pay for, but okay. The burger, which comes in three kinds of meat (Angus beef, Wagyu beef, or Swiss), can be augmented with bacon, cheese, a fried egg, or all the above, I guess.
So, an ordinary burger with bacon and fries costs 23.50 CHF, without a beverage, which in Switzerland, btw, is not on free refill. I ordered my burger rare. I got a medium plus, to put it mildly. The staff was as inattentive as can be expected of a newly hip place, but I did get another coke on my third attempt. When questioned about the state of the meat, they did offer to bring me a new burger. As time was of the essence, though, I got a cheesecake on the house. Which was a good thing, because I had wanted to try that. And it was an okay cheesecake, but at 14 CHF, wildly overpriced.
No, I'm probably not going back there any time soon. However, the tastiest burgers are probably the ones you make at home, anyway, right?


Burger à la Nahret

Burgers and buns courtesy of Migros. I take the ones with sesame.
The buns go in the pan with the burgers, for the sake of crunchiness and taste.
Add, in the following order, building from the bottom:
  • mayonnaise
  • lettuce
  • thin slices of a tomato
  • the meat
  • sliced pickled cucumbers
  • bbq sauce
  • fried onions

Voilà! Way better. And so much more... economically sound ;)

I didn't feel like lettuce after all, so I added corn with the mayonnaise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment